Emmnats Welcomes You...

Hello my peeps. I welcome you to my blog-the eyes of my mind. I'm ready to pour my mind into yours on areas of human relevance...politics, economy, business, religion and other issues that concern humanity. Please, endeavor to leave a sincere comment after navigating through this little mind of mine

Friday, December 4, 2009

"I was caught reading Shakespear book"- ANA President

Dr. Wale Okediran is a man who wears more than three caps on his head; for he’s a medical doctor, a legislative consultant, was the president of Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) as at when this interview was conducted and also a father. These numerous caps on his head do not however make him unaccessible as he would always squeeze time out of his tight schedule in order to grant media interview. While in Abuja, I made it a point of duty to have a chat with him. "Still at work. Can we meet to night at Biobak’s restaurant Nass Qtrs, Apo, I’m traveling early tomorrow." This was his reply to the SMS sent him. Sit back and enjoy as he shares his opinion on the benefits of reading. Exerpt:
You’re a medical, literary and legislative consultant. How are these interwoven?
These are the interests I developed right from when I was young. From my secondary school days I developed keen interest in reading and writing. I edited a campus newspaper was in the University and of course I’m a trained medical doctor. When I went into politics I also imbibed a lot of skills which some people felt should not be wasted, that’s why I was appointed as a consultant to the National Assembly Committee on Health.

You must then be a voracious reader?
A good writer must also be a good reader. In my secondary school days I devoted a significant amount of time to reading. While in the medical school my lecturer has ever caught me reading Shakespeare books under the desk during lectures. As a trained medical doctor too, you must also be a good reader. All these have worked together.

Let’s have a peep into your library, what are the kinds of books in there?
You’ll first of all find literary books, ranging from Russian literatures, Chinese literatures to the Nigerian literatures. I read western books a lot. My medical books are there because I still maintain a medical column in the Nigerian Tribune. My hospital at Ibadan is still being run by a colleague of mine. I believe that one day I’ll go back and retire as a medical doctor. And then, my Bible and Koran too. To make it balance.

Who’s your favourite author?
I’m very partial to Russian literatures.

It seems you have biase for foreign books, why?
I mentioned Yellow Yellow and Half of a Yellow Sun of Chimamanda Adichie. May be I’m a victim of second-hand colonialism. I went to a Baptist secondary school and our library was stocked with books sent by foreign missionaries, usually second-hand books. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t like Nigerian books.

How do you encourage your children to read?
I buy them books frequently. I buy books for my wife and friends too. It shows my great concern about their reading culture.

What measures do you put in place so that you books are not destroyed or stolen?
I’m very passionate about my books and I get very upset if my someone doesn’t return my books after he or she has lend it from me. I keep most of my most valuable books in my bedroom. I make sure that my shelf is not kept in a dampen place and I do open windows to allow cross ventilation.

Readers are leaders or readers are leaders, what’s your take on this?
I think readers are leaders because not all readers read. A good reader would make a good leader because they learn a lot. You learn patience, perseverance, dignity and honour.

Indigenous cultures and literature are on a decline, what measures can be put in place to encourage indigenous language though reading and writing?
Yes, Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) has observed what you just mentioned. We have been trying all we can to encourage indigenous writing as a body. One of our cardinal objectives is to encourage indigenous writing because Nigerian literature is on the decline. We organize workshops, we bring young men and women together, we encourage them. But the onus still lies on the parents to encourage their children and wards especially from a tender age.

On a final note, what advice do you have for those who see reading as drab and uninteresting?
It’s a tragedy, the worst tragedy for that matter for any human being to describe reading as being drab. By reading a book or magazine, you could stumble on something that may change your life forever.


Thank you very much

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment